Sunday, June 19, 2011

hydrangeas are blooming

the hydrangeas are starting to bloom and come in the most beautiful colors...from clear blues and lilacs to vibrant pinks, but my favorites are the soft "off-colors" of pale greens and creams and whites...make sure you give them a clean cut, cross-slice the stems with scissors and add fresh water every day for big lush bouquets that last, and if it doesn't rain, get the hose out to keep your bushes watered as they are very thirsty these hot summer days...I love putting one big flower head in a glass or vase for a mantel or bedside table, and for larger spaces, harvest a lot of stems for a big single flower bouquet or use as a great base for mixed flower arrangements...
from Sailing Style, photographs by Michael Skott

2 comments:

  1. I love Hydrangeas too! I love them all year! I have a antique Urn inside and try to keep it filled with White ones most of the year!
    The last a long time when you cut them don't they!
    xo,
    Gail
    casualloveselegance

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favourite flowers. I just put mine into some wate and let them soak it all up when the season is getting near the end, that way they keep there colour and last the whole Winter. Like you, I love the soft blue greens and the white ones...beautiful.
    Ness xx
    Marley & Lockyer

    ReplyDelete